Wednesday, December 29, 2010

There is no wife, like a military wife.

So. There's this YouTube video causing quite a buzz around Facebook lately. It's this very nice lad who just so happens to truly understand the plight of us military wives. It's extremely rare for anyone to get a grip on what us spouses do, so it's almost sort of shocking. I have to admit, when I first watched it I cried. For many different reasons, but mainly because this guy GETS IT. He gets the pride we have. The absolute excitement in knowing our soldier is about to come home. The loneliness and heartache and absolute terror associated with deployments and the knowledge that we could [we just might] lose the person we love most. Civilian wives hardly ever know that sort of feeling. Sure there are dangerous jobs out there that obviously deserve respect [I.E. Police Officers, Fire Fighters, etc], and I salute their spouses as well in this blog. It's a very hard life. Well, let me rephrase that. It's a very easy life, when they're home. When they're gone, it's hard. Most people do not get just how hard it is. Psychologists have compared the feeling a spouse and children go through during a deployment to the death of a close loved-one. If you've ever lost someone close, you'll know the feeling. It's...I almost have no word to describe it.

Then there's this pride that I also can't describe to you. We are a huge part of history. Our husbands [and in some cases, wives] literally put their lives on the line to defend every US citizen. It takes a special person to do that sort of thing. A selfless person. To know you are married to such an amazing person is amazing in itself. It's akin to that feeling you feel when you see your child walk for the first time by themselves. There's just nothing like it.

Let's not forget love. I, of course, can't speak for every military spouse. There are some spouses that see early on they cannot handle military life, and they remove themselves. That's fine, not everyone can. It's better you realize it early. Then there are other wives who seem to be in this life for the money. However, for wives like me this is just our way of life. My personal feelings are as follows: I love my husband. I love my husband more than anyone or anything in this world, except for our daughter. Those two are LITERALLY my entire world. I will follow him to the ends of the Earth. No questions asked. No doubts. I am his, he is mine...always and forever.

There are endless poems dedicated to the military spouse, so I won't rehash any of those but I will include a link to this fantastic YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWPtmq52OJE&feature=player_embedded

If you know a military spouse, PLEASE show respect. You never know what she [or he] is going through. Because believe me, the military can throw some serious stuff at you. This life is not for the faint of heart. We are strong. We are proud. We are in love. HOOAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment